Monday, February 14, 2011

RAINING IN LISBON

Estremoz a few days ago. Hotel down behind the pool
There isn't a lot to say about the last couple of days after leaving Estremoz. Portalegre was very small with a castle that had been modified somewhat with a vast modern wood and glass structure. I could't take a picture that would do it justice. On Sunday, when I left there it was like a ghost town and was exactly the same situation when I arrived in Castelo Branco. It was a disaster from the start as I found the hostel closed, forcing me to spend a night in an overpriced seedy hotel in the main street. Couldn't see anything charming about this jumble of concrete, and as far as I saw, not much of the old town left. So without even a moment's thought I decided to head off back to Lisbon ASAP. A 10 am bus bus saw me back here by 12.30 today (Monday). Its a good hostel and a third of the cost of the 'hotel' last night.
But going back to Estremoz, there was the Saturday antiques market, for which the weather couldn't have been better.
Estremoz market
A bench full of good old Alentejo boys at the market
A guard on sentry duty at the barracks looking as butch as he can.
a German who makes a living from antique markets
castle at Portalegre
some extremely steep ones in Portalegre
The rain has been relentless in Lisbon since I arrived 7 hours ago. But after the freezing cold I left behind in Castelo Branco its a welcome relief to actually feel warm. Dreading what awaits me in Pilsen on Wednesday. D

1 comment:

  1. Typo mate, its Castelo Branco! Anyway, now we know which places to avoid. So much for the guidebooks, makes you wonder whether some of these writers have ever visited the places they comment on.

    ReplyDelete